City Floodplain Services

The City can determine the relationship of a particular property to the floodplain, including: 1) whether the property is located within the Special Flood Hazard Area; 2) Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) Zone for property; 3) Base Flood Elevation for property, if available; and 4) whether the property is located within the Floodway.

The City also maintains elevation certificates for review, if available.  Contact the Carson City Stormwater/Floodplain Hotline at (775) 887-2305 for further information.  If requested, the Public Works Department will visit a property to review its flood problem and explain possible ways to stop flooding or prevent flood damage.  The Stormwater/Floodplain Department can also answer questions about flood insurance or provide information or contacts to find out more about flood insurance.  Call the Department at (775) 887-2305 or use the hotline number.  These services are free.

During times of flooding, homes that have not been retrofitted can be protected during emergencies by the installation of sandbags.  A sandbag filling station is located just outside of the city’s corporate yard at 3305 Butti Way.  Sand and sandbags are available for all who want to fill them.   During a flood, call Carson City Public Works at (775) 887-2355 for the availability of ready filled sandbags and their locations within the city.  These locations maybe posted on the city’s web site at: . As always, in case of an emergency, call 911.